Full Day City Tour – Addis Ababa
1. Start your day at the National Museum of Ethiopia, which houses many historical artifacts, including the famous fossilized remains of “Lucy,” one of the oldest known hominids.
2. Visit Holy Trinity Cathedral, a beautiful church known for its stunning architecture and the final resting place of Emperor Haile Selassie.
3. Enjoy a traditional Ethiopian lunch at one of the local restaurants in the Piassa or Bole areas, where you can try injera, kitfo, doro wat, or other delicious Ethiopian dishes.
4. Explore the Ethnological Museum located within the former palace of Haile Selassie. It offers insights into Ethiopia’s diverse cultures, with exhibits showcasing traditional artifacts, clothing, and artwork.
5. Take a stroll through the Mercato, one of the largest open-air markets in Africa. This bustling market will give you a taste of local life, offering everything from fruits, vegetables, spices, and traditional handicrafts.
6. Head to Entoto Hill, which provides a panoramic view of Addis Ababa. Here you can visit the Entoto Maryam Church and the Entoto Observatory and Research Center.
7. End your day by enjoying dinner at one of the city’s many popular restaurants, offering a variety of international and Ethiopian cuisine.
- If you have more time, consider visiting the Addis Ababa University campus, the African Union headquarters, or the Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum for a deeper understanding of Ethiopia's history and culture.
- Attend a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony to experience the country's rich coffee culture and savor the locally grown Arabica beans.
This itinerary provides a general guide, and you can adjust it based on your interests, available time, and any specific attractions you might want to visit in Addis Ababa. It's always a good idea to check the opening hours and any travel advisories before you go.